Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I miss the Stars


"Gray mornings destroy the soul", I think as I open my eyes to the rain, falling down my window pane like liberated tears. The mornings always start the same way, progress the same way, and end just as uneventfully. And as the days disappear I begin to feel the color is being bled from the world. The sun doesn't glow like it used to, the trees I used to love driving past on the way to work are gone, paved over for a new car dealership – the peaceful greens and blues replaced with shades of concrete and neon. I miss the stars at night, I miss the sound of wind blowing through a tree's leaves, I miss lazy days on sunny beaches, but mostly I miss those trees, and the way they could pull me out of myself for a second that seemed like a very long holiday.

No comments: